What to do when you know you are in the wrong job
Imagine this. You wake up every morning dreading another day. You don't like your job anymore or not the way you used to. You end most days feeling depleted. You are feeling less and less satisfied or motivated. You wish you were doing something else but you don't know what. You know you have something to offer but you don't know where to start.
This is where I was over a decade ago. In fact I have been there twice and made two significant career changes. I have had three careers that were all quite different. First, I was a math teacher, then I was in sales and marketing in the publishing industry. Now, I am a transformational and leadership coach.
What I have learned in the process of changing careers is.
1. You must listen to your inner voice because it is trying to align you with your greater purpose.
Ask yourself: What is my inner voice saying?
2. Become aware of what brings you the most joy as it may guide you towards your next career.
Ask yourself: When have I felt most happy, elevated, motivated?
3. Envision the lifestyle you want not just the job or career you want.
Ask yourself: If I could have my future exactly the way I want, what would it look like and feel like?
4. Be patient with yourself. This is a process of discovery.
Ask yourself: What is one thing I can do today to align with the future I want?
5. Explore options and engage with others with curiosity.
Ask yourself: What do I need to learn? Who can I connect with to learn about this?